Sunday 25 July 2010

/\/\/\Y/\


After releasing an album named for her father (Arular), and an album for her mother (Kala), shes now made MAYA for herself. Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam
, the explosive rapper/artist of sri-lankan descent, we know as M.I.A has released her third studio ablum MAYA, stylised as /\/\/\Y/\, in July 2010 . Songwriting and production for the album were primarily handled by M.I.A., Blaqstarr and Rusko. M.I.A.'s long-time associates Diplo, Switch and her brother Sugu Arulpragasam also worked on the album, which was mainly composed and recorded at M.I.A.'s house in Los Angeles.

The album's tracks centre on the theme of information politics and are intended to evoke what M.I.A. called a "digital ruckus". Elements of industrial music were incorporated into M.I.A.'s sound for the first time. Several tracks from the album were made available online prior to its release, including "Born Free", which generated controversy due to its graphically violent music video. A deluxe edition was simultaneously released, featuring four bonus tracks. Critics' opinions of the album were divided, with both its musical style and lyrical content attracting both praise and criticism. In its first week of release, the album entered the UK Albums Chart at number 21 and the UK Independent Albums Chart at number 2, becoming her highest-charting album in the UK. It also became her highest-charting album in the USA, reaching number 9 on the Billboard 200.

Born Free - M.I.A.

XXXO - M.I.A.

It Takes A Muscle - M.I.A.

Teqkilla - M.I.A.

Tell Me Why - M.I.A.

Her compositions have been noted to encompass various genres, often with political lyricism and artwork. She has described her music style as being "other". In addition to her work as a graphic designer, providing artwork and photography for releases and as a director of music videos
In 2009, Time magazine placed her in the Time 100 list of "World's Most Influential people" for having "global influence across many genres".

In response to censorship of her work throughout her career, M.I.A. said "The Third World deserves freedom of speech just like everyone else. We want to fight the battle to say what we want, whether to be serious or just make fun of ourselves. That's what 'Worldtown' is about, that's what 'Paper Planes' is about. It's what people in the third world live through."

Check M.I.A. out on Myspace / Facebook / iTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment